Keeping rental properties up to date and tenants safe in their units should always be a focus for property managers. One of the most overlooked aspects of a rental can be the paint. Many people do not know the difference between lead paint and safe paint that we have today. You cannot tell just by looking at a wall, whether the paint is safe or not. If a property manager owns property built before 1978 the lead paint risk is incredible. Even if the walls have been painted over many times, the lead-based paint layer underneath is still toxic.
The consequences of Lead-Based Paint
There are an estimated 24 million homes in the United States that may have lead-based paint or lead paint dust. Lead-based products were banned by the federal government in 1978 because of the poisonous effects of lead, especially in children under the age of 8. Lead poisoning is linked to irreversible brain damage, behavior problems, learning disorders, nervous system damage and even cause IQ to drop. Young children are the most susceptible to these symptoms while adults may experience cardiovascular effects, kidney problems, and infertility.
Removing Lead Paint
If a property manager or tenant suspects that there is lead-based paint in a rental unit, they should not attempt to renovate or remove the paint themselves. A tenant should make a maintenance request to the property manager and the manager should hire an RRP Certified professional to remove the paint if the paint does test positive for lead. Tenants should not be in the rental while renovations are taking place as the lead paint dust is also toxic and should not be breathed in. An RRP certified professional will remove the dust from the renovations. Scott Properties is dedicated to the safety and well being of our tenants and offer full disclosure for any properties that may have a lead pain exposure risk.