One thing that property management companies in Charleston often run in to when getting a home ready for a new tenant is the need for odor removal. When people have lived in a home for a long time, the smells of spices they cook with, cigarettes, products and fragrances used in the home, pets, and sometimes dirt and mold, can permeate the walls and carpet. When you are showing a rental home to new tenants, you want the house to be fresh and smell as good and new as possible, otherwise renters will be turned off.
Luckily, property management companies in Charleston have been dealing with odor removal problems for a long time and we have some tips and tricks for you!
- Air it Out- When renovating a home after a moveout, keep the windows open and fans circulating as much as possible. One of the main reasons a home might smell musty is because of dirt and stale air. Circulation will draw the smelly air out and fresh air in.
- Deodorizing- Sometimes smells linger in the carpet fibers, especially if there’s been pets in the home or cigarette smokers. Sprinkling baking soda on the carpets and then vacuuming, cleaning hard surfaces like counters and walls with a vinegar solution are inexpensive ways of getting smells out of a home, although they do take some elbow grease.
- Carpet Cleaning- If you want to remove stains and smells from the carpets you will need to do a professional carpet cleaning. Most property management companies in Charleston use professional cleaning services to shampoo carpets between tenants as part of their routine. In worst case scenarios, some carpets need to be replaced to remove the smell. Carpet replacement is often what must happen if there has been flooding or mold issues in the home.
- Drape/Curtain Cleaning- Like carpets, the fibers in drapers and curtains can hold onto smells. Many property management companies in Charleston choose not to provide drapes for home and stick with blinds. If there are drapes in the rental home however, they can be taken down and professionally dry cleaned to remove odors.
- Duct Cleaning- Smells often get circulated through HVAC systems and remain trapped in the ducts and filters. Make sure to change the air filters between tenants and schedule professional duct cleaning at least once per year or as needed to remove odors.
One of the best ways to successfully rent a home is to ensure that home is always looking and smelling its best which is why you must be diligent in odor removal between tenants.
If you need a professional property manager to help you market and rent your single-family home, contact Scott Properties at 843-790-0148.